Giving Others a Chance to Win…..Make it Your Legacy
Make a Planned Gift to the Mario Lemieux Foundation
As a 25-year cancer survivor, I understand the importance of turning adversity into philanthropy. One way Nathalie and I decided to continue our support of cancer research and patient care is by naming the Foundation in our will. We want the projects of the Mario Lemieux Foundation to continue, long beyond our lifetimes, and making this legacy promise reinforces our commitment to cancer research and patient care. Our legacy gift will help to give others a chance to win!
– Mario Lemieux
Do you want to include the Mario Lemieux Foundation in your financial future?
Thank you for considering a planned gift to the Mario Lemieux Foundation. Planned giving can help you balance your financial goals and your charitable interests - all while possibly achieving significant tax benefits. A planned gift, such as a bequest in your will or trust, life insurance designations, or gift of retirement fund assets ensures your support of the Mario Lemieux Foundation well into the future. You'll create a legacy that will impact cancer research, patient care, and millions of children and families through Austin’s Playrooms.
What We Do
The Mario Lemieux Foundation was created in 1993 with a mission of finding a cure for cancer. After 25 years of raising funds for blood cancer research and patient care, we have ongoing projects at the Mario Lemieux Center for Blood Cancers at the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center and at the Mario Lemieux Lymphoma Center for Children and Young Adults at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC.
In 2000, my wife Nathalie expanded the Foundation’s scope by establishing Austin’s Playrooms, an initiative that creates playrooms for children and families in medical facilities. As of 2018, we have established 36 Austin’s Playrooms, a number far exceeding any goal Nathalie and I had when the first playroom opened at Magee-Womens Hospital. By our estimates, our playrooms have served over one million children and families.
Ways you can support the Mario Lemieux Foundation through Planned Giving:
Bequest - Gift in your Will
Bequests are donations that are made through a will or a living trust.
You can name the Mario Lemieux Foundation as a beneficiary in your will/estate for a specific amount or percentage.
Gift of Insurance
Life insurance is an excellent tool for making charitable gifts.
Through a relatively small annual cost (the premium), a benefit far in excess of what would otherwise be possible can be provided for charity.
This sizeable gift can be made without impairing or diluting the control of a family business or other investments.
Gift of Retirement Fund Assets
Retirement plans (such as IRAs, 401(k)s, and other qualified plans) provide a very simple way to make a future charitable gift. On your plan's beneficiary designation form, you simply indicate the amount or percentage you would like to leave to the Mario Lemieux Foundation.
- The Foundation may be designated as primary, secondary or contingent beneficiary for all or part of a donor’s qualified retirement plan such as Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs), 401(k), Keogh, and others. Funds donated to charity from qualified retirement plans at the death of the donor are deductible from the estate and avoid all income tax.
- Donors over 59½ may also choose to make withdrawals from their IRA accounts to fund a current gift to the Foundation. Such withdrawals are taxable but the donor would receive an offsetting income tax deduction for their gift.
- Donors age 70 ½ years of age or older may choose to make a gift to the Foundation by direct transfer from their qualified retirement account. The IRA Rollover Act made permanent in 2016 makes it possible for donors over the age of 70½ and older to make charitable gifts by direct transfer from their qualified retirement accounts of up to $100,000 tax free. The donor does not receive a tax deduction and the asset must be transferred directly from the plan to the charity.
All donors should consult with their personal professional advisors before making a planned gift to the Mario Lemieux Foundation.
Why make a Planned Gift?
- Desire to support the Mario Lemieux Foundation
- Desire to inspire others to support the Mario Lemieux Foundation
- Create a lasting memorial for self or a loved one
- Tax incentives
- Gives donors the ability to make a larger future gift than they may currently be able to give
Interested in more information?
Please complete our Planned Giving Inquiry Form below. A Mario Lemieux Foundation staff member will contact you to discuss your planned giving options.