Celebrate your Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins and the start of the 50th Anniversary season by participating in the fourth annual Pittsburgh Penguins 6.6K Run and Family Walk presented by Highmark on October 16, 2016. The unique 6.6K distance (4.1 miles) pays tribute to Pittsburgh Penguins great Mario Lemieux, and proceeds from the event benefit two local Pittsburgh charities; the Mario Lemieux Foundation and the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation.
The 6.6K Run will begin at CONSOL Energy Center, follow the event’s traditional Two Bridges/One Tunnel course and return to CONSOL Energy Center for the finish. Walkers are permitted in the 6.6K Run event, but they must maintain a 20-minute mile pace. A 3.3K Family Walk presented by CONSOL Energy (2.05 miles), will also be offered to individuals and groups of four at a discounted rate.
Participants can also choose to join the Pittsburgh Penguins Fundraising Team! Become a Fundraiser and be a “Friend of Mario” to win unique Penguins prizes and raise funds for the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation and the Mario Lemieux Foundation. Learn more here.
FAQs – HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- All participants will receive a long-sleeve tech shirt, virtual race bag, and finishing medal.
- 6.6K Run – Men’s and women’s shirt sizes available. Walkers are permitted in the 6.6K Run, but must maintain a minimum 20-minute mile pace. There are no exceptions to this rule. If you fall behind the 20-minute pace, you will be asked to leave the course or move onto the sidewalk. Roads will reopen based on the 20-minute-pace.
- 3.3K Family Walk presented by CONSOL Energy – Mens, women’s and youth shirt sizes available. This is an untimed event. Pets and strollers are permitted.
- Special First-Day and Early-Bird registration rates are available in July. Rates increase through August and September, and online registration ends on October 9 at 11:59 PM so race packets can be created. Registration will then only be available during packet pick-up times and on race day. Race shirts are not guaranteed after online registration closes.
- No refunds or deferments of entry fees.
STANLEY CUP: The Stanley Cup will be on display in the post-race finish line area for 6.6K Run and 3.3K Family Walk participants and volunteers post-race. You must have a participant race bib or volunteer shirt to enter the viewing area. Exact display times are TBD.
REGISTRATION INFORMATION: Online registration will end on October 9 at 11:59 PM so race packets can be created. Registration will then only be available during packet pick-up times or on race day. No refunds or deferments of entry fees. Race shirts are not guaranteed after online registration closes.
PRE-RACE PACKET PICK-UP: Pre-race packet pickups will be held at the following locations:
Friday, October 14
- 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM – CONSOL Energy Center – Verizon Gate
- 4:00 – 8:00 PM – Wexford Health + Wellness Pavilion – Allegheny Health Network – 12311 Perry Hwy, Wexford, PA 15090
Saturday, October 15
- 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM – Fleet Feet Sports Pittsburgh – 1751 N. Highland Rd., Pittsburgh, PA 15241
RACE DAY PACKET PICK-UP: Race Day Packet pick-up opens at 6:30 AM. More information will be announced closer to the event.
Please note: Race shirts from the 2015 6.6K will be available at a discounted price while supplies last.
RACE DAY REGISTRATION: Race-day registration opens at 6:30 AM. Race shirt is only available for race-day registrants while supplies last.
RACE START TIME: Both the 6.6K and 3.3K Family Walk will begin at 8:00 AM on Fifth Avenue. Please arrive early to avoid any traffic delays and allow yourself enough time to be in the starting area, ready to run, by 7:45 AM.
FLUID STATIONS: Fluid stations will be located on the course.
AWARDS: Age category awards for male and female competitors will be based on chip time in the following categories: 9 & Under, 10-13, 14-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80 & Over. Cash prizes will be presented to the top three overall male and female finishers. Overall winners are not eligible for age category awards.
STROLLERS: Children ages five (5) and under in a stroller are permitted free of charge for either the 6.6K or the 3.3K Family Walk. Please provide the name of your child when you register. For the 6.6K, the child’s name must be provided through registration of an adult runner and must participate in a stroller. The child must stay in the stroller the entire length of the race, and the stroller must be pushed by an adult guardian. Strollers will start at the back of the field. For the 3.3K Family Walk, the child’s name must be provided through registration of an adult walker. A shirt will not be provided.
PETS: Pets are permitted to participate in the 3.3K Family Walk presented by CONSOL Energy only. Pets are not permitted to participate in the 6.6K event. For the 3.3K Walk only: dogs must have current vaccinations, be safe to bring in public and be leashed at all times. No retractable leashes please. Owners must clean up after their dogs. And, if your dog is in heat, please leave her at home.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.